Thursday, May 16, 2013

New arrivals here on the farm!

We have been super busy, getting everything planted, cleaned up from a "long winter" and welcoming new animals to the farm. Of course Mother Nature isn't helping....80 degrees one day, freezing temps at night the next. I DO believe however...we MIGHT be done with the freezing temps. At least I hope so. Worked in the garden with my neighbor the other day...was able to prep it, by throwing MORE dirt on there....and get a few things planted. 2 rows of green beans...a dozen tomato plants, a dozen cabbages..and we built a raised bed and planted 14 strawberry plants. Whew! All in a good days work. Maybe in a few years, I will have enough strawberries for jams and such! :) Now that we have our FIRST raised bed, I feel an addiction coming on! I want to put in another one for the greens, herbs and garlic. Last night when I put up the chickens, I was missing a hen. :( Little Lucy lips was missing. She is a Rhode Island Red, that came to me in a group of rescues. Her beak was "trimmed" and she was pitifully thin. That was a few months ago, she now is a fat little hen. I walked all over looking for her..after about an hour, I decided maybe it was "her time" and I was sad thinking of her not being there in the morning to greet me when I opened the coop. I had left the barn opened up after chores since it was so hot yesterday...I was hoping the evening air would cool it down for the animals. When I put the dogs out for the last pee of the night, I saw Lightening in the north. Checked the radar, and of COURSE, there was a small "pop up storm" headed our way. This meant I had to go out and close the barn. *sigh* After closing the barn I decided I would do a welfare check on Charlotte our American Guinea hog. We got them almost 3 weeks ago, and her due date is this weekend. As I walked up on her hut, I realized she had already had 4 little ones! They are so cute. Here are Charlotte and Wilbur,a few days after I brought them home,they settled in quite well. This is what I was greeted with last night. Aren't they just the cutest!?? This litter goes to my friend who bought the pair...but after this, the rest of the litters are ours! I am super excited to have a breeding pair of bacon makers here on the farm. After throwing Charlotte some fresh bedding, I decided to make one last swoop of the shop and surrounding area, just to see if maybe Lucy Lips was still out there, somewhere. Thomas, our big orange tom cat was of course with me on my rounds...love me this big "guard cat" When I opened the shop doors, he saw something move in the corner and darted past me. " I will save you from the moving monster" I could hear his say as he ran ahead. I looked to where he was running, and to my surprise, there was my little Lucy Lips. In the corner, hunkered down. Thomas looked defeated when he realized it was one of "moms chickens" and he couldn't have it. I scooped her up, hugged her, then gave her a stern talking to about "why you MUST go back in the coop before dark" I think I scared her with the stories of monsters that prowl the night and love to eat little red hens. I sat her on the roost, and she settled in quietly. About 2 am, I decided it was time for this old farm woman to get between the sheets, before the sun comes up and gets me out of bed. Whew, a short night that was....I feel a nap coming on...IF it rains. If not, I will be headed back out and try to get the next raised bed put in, and hopefully get the garlic and herbs planted. COME ON RAIN....MOMMA NEEDS A NAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment