Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Can you teach pigs.....or will they just get it?

So yesterday....I built an "automatic" hog water. I took a 40 gallon barrel and added hog water nipples. I split the hog yard more even, added a big cinder block to set it on and started filling it. OF COURSE this barrel has a crack in it about half way up. For now, that is OK....because I am not sure these darned pigs are smart enough to even know what this is for. They watched me install it....they were even throwing a hissy fit as I filled it....wanting water. I tried calling them over and flipping the nipple so they would know that is where the water is but those stubborn pigs all ran back to their now empty water bowls and pitched a fit. I eventually gave in and filled the water bowls. *sigh* Did I do all that work for nothing? Will they ever "get it"?
The weather was so nice yesterday, I was able to get a few other little jobs taken care of as well. A few weeks ago I replanted a couple of rows of beets. This summer has been hard on the garden and especially beets. I have yet to can one jar of beets. Yesterday as I was watering the seedlings, I realized I may not get to can ANY beets this year. They just are not thriving. We really like pickled beets so this makes me sad. Oh, I could just go buy some and put them in the pantry, but I really do not like mass processed vegetables. We still have 5 pints from last summer, looks like this winter we will just have to consider the beets as a "special treat" unless these little seedlings take off...and soon! I took the lawn tractor over to the sheep paddock and mowed down the taller grasses that had become tough. The sheep will not eat those and I don't want to walk through it and come across a sneaky snake. Besides....it looks better now. The last "big project" I worked on was the goat yard. There is this weed....I found out is called "Himalayan Balsam" I call it..." That darned weed" It grows fast, and will quickly take over an area.
The goats will only nibble on it, the sheep as well...but neither will eat it exclusively. The goats yard was covered in this...and it grows about 3 ft tall! So, I grabbed the weed eater and headed out to destroy it....at least for now. I am sure in a week or so, it will be back with a vengeance. That pretty much consumed the better part of my day. This morning I woke to temps in the LOW 50's. It is beautiful, but chilly out there. Today I will work the garden over a bit, gather green beans and Lima Beans. I need to start thinking ahead...winter is just around the corner and will be here before we know it. I am trying to make sure every animal is ready for the cold harsh winter that the Farmers Almanac is saying we will have. Condense pens...start picking up, washing and storing the many feed and water dishes that are not in use....and trying to get feed stocked in to last at least a few months. I had hay delivered a few weeks ago... 100 bales. That should get us through winter. Next will be a load of straw...and pine shavings. So much to do....so little time...busy busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment