Thursday, July 4, 2013

May the 4th be with you.

Well, here we are already the 4th of July. Wow, where is this year going? Seems just a few short weeks ago we were all complaining about frozen water troughs, and the worries of...did that breeding take? Now we are settling in to pulling weeds, fighting deer flies....and soon to be canning. Jellies are flying on the shelves here. Strawberry jam...Mulberry Jelly...Blackberry / Mulberry Jelly....Oh those beautiful little jars of goodness! The blackberry's and Raspberries are just coming on ...and boy are they! With all of the rain, and then intense heat the berries are engorged! I am hoping to find some time this weekend to go pick a few gallons of wild Blackberries. By the time I finish with them, the Elderberries should be coming in...and then soon after...Grapes. Our grape harbor is loaded! I think this year I will try putting up a few quarts of grape juice. While I was pulling weeds today before the rain came in...I noticed a few tiny little tomato's. These Roma's are impressing me this year. We also have a few pinky size cucumbers. I might just pick a bucket full of the cucumbers while they are small and make sweet pickles. They are a real treat for the hubby. He just loves em! The potato's are finished flowering...so I am done with hilling. Whew! That was fast and furious. They were growing like gangbusters..I almost wasn't able to keep up with them. I did MY part, now they need to do theirs and make those wonderful potato's for us to put into storage, and can. Looks like we will not be cooking out today...the rain is already moving in. Drats! We will just have to cook inside...and celebrate the 4TH indoors! Hey, less flies and bugs to contend with, right? :) I hope you all have a wonderful 4TH, be safe...eat LOTS of good food...and remember our Military, past, present, and future....This is for THEM!

No comments:

Post a Comment