Thursday, November 13, 2014

13 snowfalls?

So, today we had our first "snow" It wasn't a measurable snow.... just flurries all day. Today is the 13th. The old "wives tale" is, "whatever the date is you get your first snow, that is how many snowfalls you will have that winter." I am not sure I can believe that one.. and honestly, I am sure I will NOT remember to mark the calendar every time it snows. I DO know, today was DARNED COLD! I don't think we even reached 30 degrees. It was so cold... and windy. Most of the critters stayed inside for the day. The geese and ducks, and the guineas..( not so smart) were out in it all day. I personally stayed in as long as I could. I only went out to do what HAD to be done, then back inside to the warmth of the fire. I made sure everyone had plenty warm clean bedding, clean water, fresh full feeders, then back inside. I took cabbages out for the poultry. I hang them in the pens to give them something to peck at to keep the "cabin fever" at bay. The weatherman says 1 - 2 inches by Saturday night. Oh how I do NOT like our weatherman! This is how I see him.
I am going to make sure I am NOT out on the roads for the first measurable snowfall. People go crazy! Empty the store shelves, wrecks on every corner and in every parking lot. Nope, Not this old woman. I will be at home, with a good fire going... most likely baking something, sipping hot coffee. We are still trying to get all of the firewood brought in that we need. Last year we went through 15 ricks. Now, last year was unseasonably cold, even for these parts. I am hoping it wont be THAT bad this year, but we are going to plan on it. Only need another 12 ricks! *bangs head on desk* We are so far behind! Oh, and look at what I picked up the other day...
This is what it looked like when I got it. It is for putting water in on the wood stove, to help with humidity.
This is after the first cleaning. Nothing a sanding disc and a compressor can't handle. After sanding most of the rust off, I brought it inside and washed it in hot soapy water then put it in the oven at 500 degrees. Now I have to make the decision of my next step. Do I grease it down and bake it in the BBQ or do I paint it with high heat paint? It will have water in it all of the time....and be on the wood stove. Someone else suggest that I season it really well, then use it to bake casseroles in. I bet those sweet potato's baked in there would be pretty on the Thanksgiving table. Hmmmm. Not sure what I will do. But until I decide.. I have a large tea pot for the wood stove. What would YOU do with it!?

No comments:

Post a Comment