Saturday, November 15, 2014

Thanksgiving is almost here.... Oh boy!

So, today was a busy day. The power company has been traveling the back roads around here cutting the trees from the lines. Not just topping them, cutting them down, and leaving the wood cut into 3 foot sections, free for whoever gets there first. Today the hubby and I made 2 trips out and was able to get a full load of Oak. Of course it is green and we won't be able to use it this year, however, next year we will NOT be in the same position we are in this year, struggling to find firewood. We picked up a second load of hickory and a little Maple. We are going back out tomorrow to see how much more we can pick up. Next year we will have a jump on the firewood situation. So, after we got it all stacked, or thrown in a pile...we retired to the house. That was a good workout for the day. After evening chores, and dinner, we got the wood stove going making it nice and toasty warm in here. Got the jammies on, and I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies. We snuggled in to watch the Hallmark channel. Yep, Christmas movies. Sitting here I started thinking about Thanksgiving. It is almost here...and... well.. Don't tell my friend Ohio Farmgirl, but I haven't made a pie in a long time! I need to practice on my crust making. Oh, you don't know Ohio Farmgirl!? You need to go check out her blog. She is my hero... as farm hero's go. She has these EPIC farm dogs.. they butcher their own hogs, right there on the farm! One day I will work up to that... maybe. She also tells the BEST tales. Seriously, you need to go check her out. You will not be disappointed. Here.. go look! http://adventuresinthegoodland.blogspot.com/2014/11/do-you-vindaloo.html Just remember, do NOT tell her I have not made a pie lately. Hey, I made cookies!! That counts for something doesn't it!? I want to try a new to me crust recipe. It involves.... VODKA! I kid you not! Here... go try this one for yourself. Perfect Pie Crust. 2 C. unbleached all purpose flour 1 tsp. salt 6 ounces ( 3/4 or a cup ) of lard. Cold and cut into 1/2 inch squares. 1 Tablespoon Vodka 1/4 to 1/2 cup ICE water. Whisk together the flour and salt. Mix the lard in by hand, it does make a difference. But if you want, you can use a pastry blender. Eventually it should look like coarse sand. Sprinkle the Vodka, and half of the water over the mixture and blend well, adding water as needed but only 1 tablespoon full at a time until the dough forms. Divide in half, make each half into a ball, then flatten to 3/4 of an inch thick. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill one hour. After the hour, lay one at a time out on a floured surface and begin rolling out to a 10 inch circle that is 1/4 inch thick. There ya have it. " The perfect pie crust" The theory is, while baking, the Vodka will bake out of the crust, leaving it light and flaky. I want to try this before Thanksgiving... sounds like a good recipe. So, looks like I will be making pie tomorrow... after we go gather a few more loads of free firewood. If you use this recipe, let me know how it turns out for you. Now, lets all go make pie!!

No comments:

Post a Comment