Tuesday, June 24, 2014

What a great SURPRISE!

So, back in February... I witnessed our two pigs being...ummm... friendly. I counted, calculated... and planned to have babies by the 7th or 8th of June. Well...that day came and went. I just figured it didn't take. I had actually considered looking for a new male, and having this one sent to butcher. So, when I went out to feed one evening, you can imagine my surprise to see our little Charlotte coming out of the hut, dragging "evidence" of giving birth. I ran to the hut to find this.....
Seven beautiful little piggies!! Healthy and happy. The runt is without a doubt, THE CUTEST!
That is her out there in the front by herself. She is at least HALF the size of her litter mates. They are now 6 days old and moving around a bit more. The other day I went out for evening feeding... to see one of the bigger piglets laying outside of the hut, on its side, eyes wide open... not moving. I grabbed the feed and put it out for momma and daddy...then went in to get the wee one. With a heavy heart.... I walked up on the baby...talking to it telling it I was sorry this had to happen. When I bent down to pick it up...that little pig jumped up.... squealed and took off running!!! I jumped back, almost ending on my back side. Silly little pigs! From now on, when one of them is "playing possum" I will poke it with a stick first! Haha. We have been pretty busy here, mainly trying to keep the critters with fresh water. The heat has been relentless! Temps in the low 90's with humidity levels in the 70% range. YUK! Although.... the garden is really loving this! I am going out every day and shoving the tomato plants back in the cages. Trying to keep them in cages is like trying to keep a pygmy buck in a chicken wire fence. NOT going to happen. Saturday I went out and snuck a few new potato's for supper. I put them in the crock pot with a jar of green beans and some bacon. Oh boy, that was delish. Our daughter came in for an overnight visit with her husband. It was great to be able to visit with them. We all went to our sons house on Saturday for a memorial cookout for our oldest son. I can't believe it has been 4 years since his passing. Seems like yesterday some days. I just love this time of year. The garden is really putting on a show.. and the canning has begun. As usual, the first thing to can are beets. I pulled these Monday, and canned them today. Only 4 pints, but its a start! I am OK with that.
The green peppers are being all weird. They are not getting taller, even though they are putting on peppers. Not sure what is up with that.
Doesn't look too promising. I am hoping they recover from whatever the issue is and put out a good crop. ALL of the pepper plants look like that. Tomorrow I will be planting the pumpkin and watermelon. I know it is a bit late for watermelon, but I am going to give it a try. So, with the canning season getting ready to start, I will be busy.. tired... and so happy! It only signifies that winter will be knocking on our door soon. *shivers*

No comments:

Post a Comment