Thursday, June 5, 2014

Strawberries and storms.

So, I am pretty sure we are winding down on the strawberries. When we first started picking they were large..and plentiful. I was picking between 3 and 4 quarts a day! Strawberry overload...but I was not complaining. We absolutely love those little red jewels. I put up 25 jars of jam and still have about 4 quarts in the fridge. Hubby has been eating them as fast as he can. So, this morning I decided it was time to make that delicious cake I shared the other day. I didn't have the round pans...but overcome and conquer... I just used a rectangle pan then cut it in half. Worked out great!
The only problem now is... the hubby doesn't get home until after 4 pm so now it is sitting in the fridge...tantalizing me. MUST STAY AWAY FROM THE FRIDGE!! So, we have been having quite a bit of rain which made the garden take off! I bet those beets grew 3 inches in 2 days! Unfortunately so did the weeds. So, on the days we are not getting rain, I am pulling weeds in between the daily chores. This last round of rains has also helped the Mulberry trees. They are just starting to ripen. Soon I will be making more jelly. Mulberry is one of MY personal favorites. The next inside project, on rainy days, will be to empty the pantry of all of last years canning. We will take it upstairs and put it on the hutch in the dining room. This way I can clean the pantry out really well and get it ready to accept this years canning. It won't be long.... we will be in a canning frenzy before you know it. I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment