Monday, February 16, 2015

Mother Nature has fertilized my garden...poor mans fertilizer.

Yes, we now have about 4 inches of snow. I for one am happy to see the snow, since it is the "Poor man's fertilizer" and well...we don't have large amounts of money laying around so we "qualify" as poor. Of course, I don't know any homesteader/farmer that does. Most of us are just barely keeping our heads above water. "How does snow fertilize the earth?" Well...I am glad you asked! Any moisture falling from the sky, contains Nitrogen, and...well...plants need nitrogen. But, when it snows... the snow melts off slower acting like a "slow release" fertilizer. This allows more of the Nitrogen to seep into the soil. Now don't go getting all worried... "Nitrogen will burn the plants" yeah, we know that, however, the average rain/snow will only deposit a few pounds per acre and it is recommended for commercial agriculture to apply hundreds of pounds per acre. So, although it might not be "enough" , it IS free, and who doesn't like free? Like I said...we are not rich in money.. "Then why do you do what you do?" Well....a few reasons... #1 We like to eat and we like to eat GOOD clean food. So we have gardens and raise animals. #2 It keeps me busy, and keeps me moving. OK, I will admit it, I am not a "spring chicken" so by keeping moving, it keeps me healthier. #3 Well, I can show you......
and this....
and these....
And finally.....this....
Oh, I could show you many more reasons to homestead/farm...but you might get tired of the hundreds of reasons I have. Peace of mind knowing we have food to get us through the winter, our grand children, New life born or hatched every spring and being able to watch that new little life come into this world, take its first steps, and being loved and protected by its mother. So with the snow... comes the reminder that Spring will soon be here. Soon we will be planting our gardens....watching the little critters being born here..taking a moment to watch them learn about life. Yes, spring is coming. Now is the time to get our garden seeds started inside. and before we know it, we will be wiping the sweat from our brows, swatting away the buzzing insects that want to bite us, or eat our new plants. But for now, I will sit here by the fire...with my lap blanket on...my good dog at my feet and watch the snow outside and dream of sunshine, gardening, gathering and preserving.

No comments:

Post a Comment