Saturday, April 25, 2015

Little Blessings...and a curse.

I am one of the few goat owners to breed for mid Spring kidding. We do not have electric in our barn, so I need to make sure the kids are born when it is a bit warmer. The other day...Susie blessed us with 2 little ones. A little buckling and a doe. The kidding was perfect. First the little doe and before I could even get her mouth cleaned out, here came the buckling. From first push to last born was bout 5 minutes.
Here they are just minutes old.
Almost completely dry...
They are healthy little blessings. Unfortunately, poor Susie has developed congested udders. The poor gal's udders are very firm and just FULL of milk that will not let down. The vet gave me 3 different shots to give her for 3 to 5 days, an anti-inflammatory, a diuretic, and one to help the milk come down. She is getting warm compresses followed by message and finishing with a peppermint oil rub and 1000 mg of Vitamin C. She seems to like the "spa treatment" This is going to take several days but eventually there will be plenty milk for the kids and us. For now, what little milk that is coming in, it all goes to the kids. I am also supplementing them with a little re-placer milk. Little Teddy is not impressed with the attention the new kids are getting. I have to make sure he still get's his "mommy time" He demands it!
Today we have the potential for some pretty tough storms. The kids will stay in the barn, just to be safe. This time of year, we plan our activities outside around the Spring weather. When we can get outside, we are fighting the mud. However, I am NOT complaining.....yet...at least it is NOT snow. :) My hands are just itching to get out there in the gardens. Weather permitting, we will be doing a lot of our planting on Mothers Day weekend. For now I just enjoy the sweet scent of the apple tree when I walk by. I love the sweet scent of apple trees.
So that is about all that is going on here for now....chomping at the bits to get outside....waiting on the Spring rains to stop.

2 comments:

  1. They kids are beautiful and I can tell you are proud. Susie did very well. Hopefully her spa treatments will do the trick and all will be right in your world. Have a great weekend and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Susie did great! She is the best mom too. Thank you. I hope I can get this remedied soon, for her and me. I want milk too! LOL

      Delete