Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Doing "busy work" to get back in shape and ready for the big jobs.......

Yes, "busy work" Yesterday was beautiful weather wise. Sunny and near 70 degrees! Winter was rough on this small homestead. The pigs had rooted so much that the dirt and mud was about a foot taller than it should be around the edge of the fence line. Some places it had been touching the electric wire fence, and some places there were small branches laying on the electric wire. So I unplugged the fence, grabbed my shovel and pitch and headed in armed with a bucket of field corn, on the cob. I tossed a few ears here and there to keep the pigs busy while I did my work. It only took me about 30 minutes or so to get it all back in some sort of order. After cleaning my tools and my boots, I set out to plant the peach tree I bought a few days ago. It is a beautiful tree, standing about 6 ft tall...very healthy looking, inexpensive as well. One of the only issues I have with the tree is that I have no idea if it is a cling, or cling free variety. I guess I will have to wait for a few years to find out. Now I need to find at least one more maybe 2 or 3. Once the last of the peach trees are planted, this will be the last of any fruit we will plant, I think. Our son said he will try to bring a few wild plum trees when he comes to visit this late spring. My hope is one day to be able to plant a few Almond trees and maybe a few English Walnuts. Today...the weather was almost as nice as yesterday. We had a small pile of seasoned wood left from what we cut last year. We have a few days of rain coming, and cold nights, so I moved it to the back yard today then split it. It wasn't much, but will be enough for the cool nights we have left. After taking care of that, I collected a small load of medium size branches for kindling. I am hoping this will be the last we will need for this year. I DO love the heat from a wood stove, however, I am getting tired of being a slave to the wood stove. I am ready to dig in the soil...to plant seedlings...to work in the sun...I am ready for summer. I am ready to taste the sharpness of a fresh tomato from the garden, still warm from the sun. I am ready for the taste of fresh green beans, green and crisp from the vine. For now, I sit here with a blanket around my shoulders....and wait...and dream...and prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment