Saturday, April 30, 2016

So many new things.....

Today, I spent most of the day at work. Nothing really exciting there...just putting together 3 ring binders for the next few classes of students. After work I came home and changed into work clothes then headed back to MUTC to walk the woods in search of the ever elusive Morel Mushrooms. I was talking to one of the guards at the gate this morning and he told me of a spot he had been a few days ago and was able to find 30+. I have been out a few times this spring and have yet to find any. Once I get to the area I wanted to search, I changed into my boots, grabbed my walking stick and onion bags and headed out. Walking through the woods is a great way to unwind from the past few weeks of stress. It is so peaceful out there. The weather was great for a hike. Temps in the upper 60's and partly cloudy. I start walking just taking in the scenery. Soon I came across these two old trees. Their lifespan complete yet still useful for small animal homes.
After a few minutes, I headed out again, eyes to the ground....still searching for the ever elusive Morel's. It wasn't long before I realized I had walked into an old abandoned cemetery. There was a sign off to the side, warning that these grounds are protected. Most of the grave markers were just thin stoned, the engraving long gone. I was able to read a few names with dates.
It was sad to see that this place was so forgotten. There was a single wire " fence" around the area...marking what seemed to be the boundaries. Several large trees had fallen across the cemetery, undoubtedly across a few graves.
It is sad to think that the families of these people most likely have no idea that they are here. After carefully walking through I started out once again...still searching for Morels. Every once in a while I would look ahead and scan the area to decide which way to go. That is when I spotted this in the woods.
Because this area is a Military training center, I am sure this was strategically placed here with a purpose. It was a little spooky seeing this laying off on its side and with all of the damage. By the time I found this, I had been in the woods a few hours, so I decided it was time to head home, empty handed. Another hunt, ending with disappointment. Not even ONE Morel. After I got home, a dear friend contacted me to let me know she had picked up two little bucks. One for her and one for me. Our little Herd Sire is absolutely adorable. He is a registered Mini Nubian with ice blue eyes. The lady we got them from said that our little one could possibly throw "moon spots" That would be fantastic! He is just a baby right now...but so adorable. I would like you to meet Lazarus.
Those ears! I can't wait to get him home...and love on him. I am hoping to be able to find a registered Doe for him by Fall. So now that I was able to spend a few hours in the woods..and unwind..I feel I am ready for the new week ahead. We will be working I believe 21 days straight. This will be a long few weeks. Somehow I need to get the gardens finished prepped, and start planting. Before we know it we will be eating fresh from the garden again. This makes me smile.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you got some de-stress time in the woods. Your new little guy is adorable! Of course... give him time. It will cure that. ;)