Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Strawberries and cooler weather...

The strawberry patch we planted last year is surprising me by doing quite well this first year. I really didn't think there would be any berries from it however it seems no one told the plants.
These were the first 3 I picked....then yesterday....these.
I always get excited when the first strawberries start to ripen. Soon it will be time to start making jam....and cakes...and everything strawberry. Another great thing about late spring?? Wisteria! It is blooming everywhere! Someone had planted this years ago, and just let it grow wild. It is in the tops of the trees, some as tall as 30 feet. At least it smells good over by the chickens, geese and rabbits. Maybe I should plant some by the pig pen!?
I wish this was a scratch and sniff....this stuff smells SO good. Tomorrow I plan to bring some in for the table. Today's weather was pleasantly cool. Highs in the upper 60's. Looks like we will get at least 2 more days of this weather...but a little cool overnight. Lows in the low 40's make for good sleeping for me...but Nikki my Macaw is not happy. I have to make sure she is covered early to keep the warmth in. So, that's about it for here. Cool weather...strawberries and Wisteria. Oh, and of course...gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment