Thursday, September 19, 2013

Cowboy Candy anyone!?

OK, so this year has been a great year for peppers of all kinds. Jalapeno's , Banana peppers... we had more than we really could ever use. The hubby had taken at least 10 pounds of mixed peppers to work and passed them out. A friend of mine posted a recipe for "Cowboy Candy" or.. Candied peppers. Personally...I do not like anything super hot, that will make me sweat when eating it, or make my mouth go numb. Hubby on the other hand, " The hotter the better!" So when I saw her recipe for Cowboy Candy, I decided....why not? So here is what I did..... The recipe..... ( Yield - 9 half pints) PLEASE WEAR GLOVES!!! 3 pounds Jalapeno peppers. ( I mixed Jalapeno's, Banana peppers, and those super hot Habenero's) 2 C. Cider vinegar 6 C. Sugar 1/2 tsp. Turmeric 1/2 tsp. celery seed 3 tsp. granulated garlic 1 tsp. cayenne pepper Clean and slice your peppers....toss the tops, keep the seeds in them.
In a large pot combine the vinegar, sugar, Turmeric, celery seed, garlic and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add peppers and simmer for EXACTLY 4 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, scoop the peppers out and into your clean, sterile jars. ( use a funnel to keep the rims clean)
Turn the heat back up under the pot, bring to a hard boil, and boil for 6 minutes. Ladle the syrup into the jars. Wipe rims, add your lids and rings,( that have been sitting in HOT water for at least 15 minutes) Do NOT throw out the extra syrup. Put it into jars as well, and process with the peppers.
This can be used for many things like brushing on meats for the grill...add a little to your chili for that little sweet/spicy flavor..or whatever you want to add a sweet spicy kick too. Process in a hot water bath..1/2 pints for 10 minutes and pints for 15 minutes. The recipes calls for the jars to sit in the pantry for a few weeks, hmmm, not sure my hubby will let that happen! So...I had a few hand full's of green beans I planned to put in a pot for supper. There was a bit more than we needed for ONE meal...so I put some in a few half pints, and put the syrup over them and processed with the peppers. Not sure how they will turn out..but I think hubby will like them.
So, thats what I have been up to today...well, other than cleaning the family room..and regular farm chores.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like something my husband would love but no way could I eat it! I don't like hot with tears on the side! :) They look great though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not like hot peppers either. However, these are sweet, with a bite! LOL Not bad...really.

      Delete