Friday, September 19, 2014

Moving pigs...building fences.

So the baby pigs are big enough to be separated from momma. I have been putting it off for a few weeks now, just because to separate them is a big job. My husband brought home a couple HUGH pallets that he cut in half to make fence panels. Once he cut them in half they STILL weigh about 150 pounds each. For me to get them from the shop, where the pig pen is, I had to drag them with the lawn tractor and a strap. I drug 5 of them over there a few days ago.
This morning, I decided It was time to get busy. First I had to get one of the big wood crates over to the pen. These crates are about 4 ft square. They weigh about 200 pounds so moving it was a bit of a chore. I ended up flipping it end over end moving it about 300 feet. After turning off the electric fence, I was able to get it into the big pen and in place where I needed it. Then I had to move the panels. This took quite a bit but I finally had them in place. I ended up having to put electric at the bottom AND the top. I had the babies in the pen but needed to come up to the house to get the plastic conductors and when I got back out there, momma had jumped over the fence to get in with her babies. The brat! I finally got her out, and was able to keep the babies in. Set up the electric lines and plugged it in. Didn't take long for the babies to figure out that the white line bites! All I need to do now is put bedding in the hut and I will be done. Had to come in to take a break. Whew! I am worn out. So, here it is...in all it's "glory"
Now I need to go get the double sided feeder, from the barn, and get it set up in there for them. Time to get some meat on them bones. After my lunch break is over I am going to get started on the new strawberry bed. There will be 4 rows, about 30 ft long. I need to build up the rows, transplant the plants and add the old bedding from the barn, BEFORE the rain gets here Saturday early evening.
I am hoping in a few years I will be able to have a U-Pick patch. We are also working on having a U-Pick thorn-less blackberry patch as well. THAT will for sure be a few years down the road. We are not even getting enough for just us yet. So what are your fall jobs? Are you getting them done? Crossing off any big projects yet?

1 comment:

  1. Awwww. The piggies are all growed up ! My fall jobs seem never ending at this point but you definantly have many more. I can't wait to see the new strawberry patch next year. Thank you for sharing. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete