Monday, July 27, 2015

Now what have I gotten in to??

Seems there is always something going on around here....and I am usually the one to get in it. This weekend the hubby and I decided we would "divide and conquer", and we did...sorta. You see, the problem we both have is...our minds are still in the " 20 something mode" and our bodies are in the "grandparent mode" Saturday morning we laid out our battle plans....He was to get on the mower and mow all day, into the night if needed..( not really) and I was going to get in the garden and decimate the weeds. 8 am....I headed out to start with opening coops, filling feeders and waters...and unleashing the poultry hoards on the creepy crawlies. Now that the waters have receded from the month long deluge of rains, we WILL reclaim this land! Onward little feathered soldiers..."Carpe Diem" seize the day. On to the I walk up to "mud city"...a stinking hole in the ground where future bacon and hams lay lazily....the handles of the heavy buckets of feed dig into my hands....they awaken with the sound of my footsteps. Large black ears twitch, tiny little eyes peer at me through the fence as they stand there, waiting for their breakfast. The month long rains have made this area a place I do NOT want to be for very long periods of time. It will take several pounds of powdered lime to control the stench. This is NOT a job I look forward to. How can something that smells SO BAD.....end up tasting SO GOOD!? Soft grunts and slurping, chomping sounds....means my job here is done. Whew! On to the barn. The animals know my routine...and the sounds involved. The sheep and goats are quiet while I tend to the animals on the north end...however, as soon as I slide the door shut on the shop, where I store the pig food, they start calling to me. The goats are the loudest protesters. What are they protesting you might ask? Apparently the fact that I walk too slow to make them happy. It starts with a few calls from the younger crowd, Baaaah, Baah..then the adults chime in...BAAAH!! This arouses the sheep..with a low, bass type call....muffled...MMMMmmmmm. The sheep emerge from the barn...meeting me at the gate. I get a full escort to the barn. They must feel the need to scatter the barn cats from my path, you know, so they don't slow me down. The sheep have a "dance" that they perform every morning as I scoop out their breakfast. The 2 bigger girls get fed in a stall since they feel that every dish of feed must be consumed with record speed so they might be able to steal everyone else's breakfast. The girls prance in and out of the stall, softly calling, or mildly protesting my lack of speed. Now, feeding these 2 gals is tricky. They do I put this without sounding mean? Oh, I know.....they are not fat they are fluffy! HA! Nope, they are fat AND fluffy and demanding! Every day, as I enter the stall, they start....running in circles around the feed pan...shoving each other like it is a game of "musical dish" As they circle around I wait for an opening..and throw the feed into the pan. This stops them in their tracks. Whew, I did it and didn't get thrown into the stall walls. This is a good day! I lock the stall door and turn around to see two little beady eyes watching this fiasco. Tulip the pot belly pig waited patiently while I "danced with the sheep" She lets out a few little grunts as I fill her pan....and poor little Laura, the last of the Shetland sheep, patiently waits by the barn door...where she is ready to flee if needed. She is a silly sheep. She has been a resident here for 5 years, and most of the time I can scratch her cheeks and shoulders...but one wrong move, POOF! She is gone! Time for the live weed whackers to get their breakfast. They have been standing at the gate to their side of the barn...bawling the entire time I tended the others. They act as if they haven't been fed in days...or weeks....screaming at me...trying to climb the gate to get to the feed cans. *sigh* I push my way through the herd to get to the dishes and finally get the last of the critters fed and watered. I stand back, looking around as they all enjoy their breakfast, and I smile. Happy animals..bales of hay stacked floor to ceiling..full feed bins...yes, my job here is done. As they finish up, I turn the 2 big girls out of the stall and head out to get to work on the garden. By this time the hubby is on the mower...getting his day started. I pause....staring at what should be a garden, but looks like a jungle of weeds. Somewhere in there....there are Lima beans and Brussels sprouts....tomato plants and green beans. I pull on my gloves, and get started. Weeds are flying....hand full after hand full the garden cart is filling up. I pull the bottom layers of leaves from the Brussels sprouts and prop them back up with the sticks that hubby provided while cleaning the fallen branches from the trees before he mows. Slowly but surely it is looking like a vegetable garden again. 4 hours later, I stare at my accomplishments. If the weather co-operates...we just might have a good harvest yet. Well, at least a few of them are doing better than I thought. The beets...well..I will replant them next weekend. The day comes to an end...with 2 very tired humans....and several animals that await their dinner. Time to give them their dinner and put them to bed. These were the happenings of last Saturday. Sunday morning we awaken sore and stiff. We decided to take it "easy" today...except for feeding the animals...we will not "work" outside. I woke up with my right index finger hot and swollen at the tip. I can't see a wound, no point of entry, but I grabbed the drawing salve and slather it on and wrap a band aid around it. It was tender all day Sunday. Today, Monday morning I was awakened by the pain. Dagnab it! I cleaned the area, and again slathered drawing salve on it...and wrapped it up. If by Tuesday it is not better, I guess I will call my Dr. Today I will work inside. Highs in the low 90's with humidity to match. YUK! The light rain we got last night is going to make today a miserable day to be outside. Hello laundry....we meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment